Sunday, February 10, 2008

Staying a step ahead

I've been giving serious effort to teaching my children French for about a year now, although it's only been since about September that I've been giving serious attention to learning French myself. But I've been on a hunt for good resources for teaching French to young children ever since my son was born, almost six years ago.

I knew the kinds of materials I was looking for--things that immersed children in the language and were interactive, since those were the types I used when I was teaching English as a second language. The only problem was, those kinds of materials didn't work for me, since my own language skills weren't strong enough. So I dug around instead for materials that were accompanied by tapes or CDs, offered a degree of interactivity and helped me learn along with my children.

Among other things, this blog will offer some advice on the types of materials I've found effective for myself and my children, as a parent with limited or developing language skills. I'll also offer some suggestions for games with controlled language anyone can do, with limited French, and a regular feature with themed vocabulary and phrases for speaking French with babies or young children.

No comments: