Sunday, February 17, 2008

fun & games

One of the things I know to "work" in language learning because of my experiences teaching English as a second language, is games. The problem is, when I taught English, it was relatively easy to find innumerable books full of suggestions for games and activities for the language classroom.

It seems that in the field of French as a second language teaching, it's not so easy. I've found a number of resources available in the UK, but with their price and shipping costs...well, I'm still looking for other alternatives.

I spent some time in the Modern Language collection of the local university library, and found some fantastic ESL-type activities that would be easily adapted for use in our home, with French.

In the meantime, here's a game Pierre introduced the other day. He and I taught the names of six objects. We used a candy (un bonbon), a pen (un stylo), a key (une cl), a ticket (un billet), some money (d'argent), and one other item I can't seem to think of at the moment. We also had a paper bag (un sac). The kids took turns hiding an object in the paper bag and the rest of us (including Pierre) had to guess what was in the bag by asking questions. For example, "As tu un stylo dans le sac?"

No comments: