Wednesday, March 5, 2008

French for mommies: Pimsleur versus Michel Thomas

I have harboured a lifelong desire to learn French. I loved French at first contact, but had an unfortunate series of bad teachers in high school and felt forced to quit.

Since then, life, it seems, has gotten in the way of any meaningful pursuit of French. I've considered classes numerous times, but was kept away, probably in part due to my bad experience in a classroom, partly because I'm picky--I taught English as a second language and figured I knew the "right" methodologies--partly because of expense, and partly because of convenience. I'm a mother of three children. When would I get out?

But when it was apparent to me that the right method for teaching my children wasn't going to creep up and hit me over the head, I decided to take matters into my own hands whatever way I could find. I started digging around at the library and fell in love with Pimsleur. Having said that, I think Pimsleur was working for me because I had some French background already--half the stuff in the first eight or so lessons, I already knew or knew parts of, so I had a good framework to assume the new stuff into.

However, more recently, I've come across Michel Thomas, and for me--so far at least--I'm only partway through both methods--it far exceeds what Pimsleur does.

This is adding up to a fairly lengthy post, and I have a lot more to say about both methods, so I'll continue this tomorrow.

No comments: